We’re celebrating our birthday in this article at Zamzar HQ – 10 several years in the past right now we released the Zamzar website with a easy mission:
Items ended up very distinct 10 several years in the past. In Net several years that is like eight centuries …
A potted heritage of 2006
Forged your thoughts again to 2006 …
- The INTERWEBS was a modest and barren wasteland with *only* 75 million websites on the web (there are one.4 billion now)
We ended up about here on this graph:
- Twttr was one Tweet solid:
just environment up my twttr
— jack (@jack) March 21, 2006
- The Apple iphone did not exist nevertheless (WAT!) – all the cool youngsters ended up utilizing Motorola Razr’s. The, er, not-so-cool types had Palm Treo 700’s.
- Dropbox was about to get flamed on Hacker News as “not very viral or revenue-generating” and Facebook’s only end users ended up Mark and his mum [one].
- ICanHasCheezburger hadn’t been invented (NO LOLCATS !), and the most preferred meme of the year was a sneezing panda:
It was into this primordial Net soup that Zamzar was born. Most of the nine months of intensive growth time for such a crucial pillar of the Net was invested on emblem style and design
(clearly the crucial side for any budding “web two.0” company).
We’ve incorporated the finest of the bunch for your delectation – added marks for recognizing the malformed sheep motif. Graphic style and design was not our strongest asset at the time.
Irrespective of the shameful makes an attempt at again-of-a-beermat emblem design Michael Arrington coated the start at TechCrunch, Wired and Lifehacker both equally jumped onboard with very optimistic articles, the BBC gave Zamzar glowing critiques and Robert Scoble (he of Google Glass fame) preferred what he observed.
The vogue for launching “web two.0” programs into (seemingly perpetual) beta at the time led Zamzar to be incorporated in the Museum of Contemporary Betas a interesting historical file of each and every-male-and-his-dog’s endeavor to jump on the web two. bandwagon.
The “museum” is nonetheless charting new beta launches to this day, and Zamzar has the privilege of ranking as selection two on the listing of most preferred betas of all time (just at the rear of Flickr).
Launching Zamzar was mainly an workout in “scratching our personal itch” in acquiring computer software which allowed us to perspective, edit and conserve data files in as broad a wide variety of formats as achievable, without needing to have each and every model of each and every software at any time designed. We’re thrilled that this turned out to be a helpful answer for others also.
We’re very pleased to have operate Zamzar as a bootstrapped and lucrative web business enterprise for 10 several years now. If time on the Net was calculated in canine several years (which it must be) we’d be sixty five several years outdated.
All through that time we’ve:
- Transformed around 300 million data files
- Labored with Vint Cerf on tackling digital preservation
- Served end users in each and every state on the planet (such as Antarctica)
- Labored with revered media outlets such as the Guardian
- Helped the inventor of PowerPoint convert his prolonged-misplaced data files
- Saved numerous life* … (*transformed data files for grateful end users)
The point that we’ve hardly ever taken VC-funding (irrespective of staying courted on several events), allows us to maintain focussed squarely on producing our products and solutions much better for our buyers.
This is our selection one aim, one which is shamelessly stolen from Paul Graham & Y-Combinator – “Make anything persons want“.
The Long run
Our prepare is to maintain developing products and solutions and solutions which you will enjoy. Products that make dealing with and utilizing file formats less complicated for every person, irrespective of whether they are new to the entire world of desktops or a seasoned developer.
We recently released a file conversion API able of changing hundreds of different file formats appropriate from the command line or inside of your personal cell or web software.
We’ll be producing this service even much better, bettering the style and design and features on our main file conversion website, integrating with a entire bunch of other file-similar solutions, developing out some remarkable new products and solutions (such as a self-driving vehicle powered by Term Doc macros) and a great deal far more.
If you have utilised Zamzar around these previous 10 several years then *thankyou*. It has been an honour and a privilege to change your data files.
Here’s to the future 10 several years!
Chris & Mike Whyley,
Co-Founders @ Zamzar.
[one] Nearly. In fact Fb had 12 million end users, but most ended up probably Mark’s shell accounts.